F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Verstappen: Sky F1 boycott fueled by 'constant' disrespect

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Max Verstappen says a "constant and disrespectful" attitude displayed towards him by Sky F1 and "one person in particular" led to his boycott of the broadcaster this weekend in Mexico City.

Verstappen snubbed Sky's crews following comments made after the US Grand Prix by Sky F1 pundit Ted Kravitz who, on multiple occasions, used the word "robbed" to characterize Lewis Hamilton's controversial title defeat to Verstappen in Abu Dhabi last year.

All weekend at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Verstappen and the Red Bull team gave Sky and its Italian and German affiliates the cold shoulder.

The two-time F1 World Champion opened up on the reasons for the cut off.

"It had nothing to do this weekend," said Sunday's winner.

"But this year it's been a constant… yeah, kind of like daily being disrespectful, especially one particular person. And it's enough, I don't accept it.

Read also:

"You can't live in the past. You just have to move on. Social media is a very toxic place, and if you are constantly being like that live on TV, you make it only worse instead of trying to make it better.

"You keep disrespecting me, and at one point, I'm not tolerating it anymore. That's why I decided to stop answering them."

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner echoed his driver's view, insisting his team was "disappointed with a series of derogatory comments that have been made on Sky", which led to the decision to "take a break" this weekend.

"There needs to be balance in commentary," explained Horner. "Some of the commentary is excellent, but some of the pieces, there's too much sensationalisation being done. We stand together as a team."

While Red Bull acted to "to register our discontent with some of the less impartial comments that are made or some of the accusations that are sometimes made", Horner said that "service will be resumed" next week in Brazil.

"I think an accusation of championships being robbed is something that we don't feel is an impartial commentary," said Horner. "That is, we don't feel, in any way fair or balanced.

"Max was very upset about it, and as a team, we support him fully. We were equally upset about it. As a team, we took the decision this weekend, I took the decision that we'll have a weekend off."

Horner said that he believes Red Bull "are a cheap target sometimes".

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Horner on Lawson demotion: ‘You’ve got to be cruel to be kind’

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner stabdsd by his team’s decision to demote Liam Lawson…

3 hours ago

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

5 hours ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

6 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

7 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

8 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

9 hours ago