F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ricciardo 'not foaming at the mouth yet' for return to F1

Daniel Ricciardo is biding his time and says he isn't "foaming at the mouth" to go racing once again, the Red Bull reserve insisting he'll "ease into 2023" at his own pace.

Ricciardo is sharing Red Bull's third driver role this season with young gun Liam Lawson, although he'll attend much fewer races than the Kiwi, with the Aussie's main task involving simulator work and show-run assignments for his employer.

For now, Ricciardo is happy to wait things out, but he'll likely seek a bit of clarity on his racing future as the season unfolds.

"I’m keen to have a crack just to stay race-fit, so the body doesn’t go into shock when it hits 5Gs!" Ricciardo said at Red Bull's 2023 team launch in New York on Friday.

"If there was a test tomorrow, I’m still good. But I’m happy to have more time off.

"As the year progresses I will put my hand up. But I’m not foaming at the mouth yet. I’m happy to ease into 2023."

Ricciardo says he's enjoyed a leisurely winter holiday so far, but will soon ramp up his physical training in order to embrace any opportunity that may come his way.

"I’m still taking a day-by-day approach," he said. "I’m not putting too much stress on, by March 1, knowing how I feel.

"I want it to happen naturally. Being at the launch does excite me, it’s a cool feeling. But I’m happy to be taking the year that I am taking.

"I feel like a holiday is winding down, I’ve had close to enough time off, I’m going to the Super Bowl next weekend then I’ll get back into a regime of training.

"I’ll see what happens over the next couple of months. I need to stay sharp enough that, if I need to jump in spontaneously, I’m not 20kg overweight!

"I’ll be watching the first race on television. That will start to warm up a few feelings.

"Melbourne is the first race I will attend - the atmosphere, noise, smell will do whatever it does. Stoked, excited, wanting to get back? Or just a fan? Melbourne will tell me a lot."

A solicitation to race from outside F1 could also eventually pop up on Ricciardo's cellphone. If that's the case, the eight-time Grand Prix winner expects some flexibility from Red Bull.

"There would be flexibility, and if Red Bull were involved, it’s win-win," he said. "But, right now, I want mental time off.

"Competition is awesome but it’s a lot. If I step into something else, there would be a level of expectation. This year is a chance to take a light-hearted approach and to ease off."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

13 mins ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

1 hour ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

3 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

4 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

5 hours ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

19 hours ago