F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Bottas: FIA free speech clampdown still 'unnecessary' despite clarification

Valtteri Bottas reiterated his belief that a clampdown by the FIA on F1 drivers' free speech on race weekends is "unnecessary" despite the governing body's clarifications on the new sporting rule.

Last week, the FIA clarified several aspects of its controversial ban on free speech and political statements by F1 drivers, including the penalties a driver's potential misconduct could warrant.

F1's governing body felt compelled to elaborate on its policy following a unanimous backlash from the sport's drivers and from several F1 team bosses.

Bottas acknowledges that the FIA's new sporting rule is now clear, but the Alfa Romeo driver still feels that the controversial provision is "unnecessary".

And the Finn would also like to see the GPDA and the FIA open a dialogue on the matter.

"It is clear, but I still feel it's a bit unnecessary," he told the media on Thursday in Bahrain.

"I think I'm speaking on behalf of all the drivers, we haven't had a GPDA meeting yet. Hopefully that's soon to discuss and especially with the FIA."

Haas' Kevin Magnussen agreed that the drivers need to sit down and discuss the issue among themselves.

"It’s something that we need to talk about as drivers and see what we really think about it," he said.

"I’m from a part of the world where free speech is a thing. I like that and think that’s a good value and would like to see that everywhere I go.

"But that’s not always how the world is."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

24 mins ago

McLaren and Norris fastest midday in Bahrain on Day 5

Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…

1 hour ago

FIA trials longer start procedure to ease turbo challenges

The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…

2 hours ago

Vettel teases dream Le Mans team-up with Verstappen

Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…

3 hours ago

Alonso: Aston Martin’s problems fixable – but time is slipping away

Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…

4 hours ago

Mekies has ‘zero concern’ over Verstappen losing interest in F1

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…

18 hours ago