F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Alpine: Rivals 'opportunistically' blocked Gasly penalty points cut

Alpine team boss Otmar Szafnauer says a proposition he submitted to have benign offenses wiped from Pierre Gasly's superlicence was "opportunistically" rejected by several of the French outfit's rivals.

Last year, during his final campaign with AlphaTauri, Gasly accumulated ten penalty points on his superlicence, which means he's just two points away from incurring an automatic one-race ban.

Based on F1's 12-month rolling schedule, the Alpine charger's tally won't start to expire until May 22, so if he commits an offense in the next four races and receives two more penalty points, Galsy would become the first driver since the system was introduced to earn a mandatory ban as a result.

Gasly's transgressions out on the track included such benign offenses as exceeding track limits and falling too far behind the Safety Car on a restart, while more serious violations included speeding under red flag conditions and causing a collision.

Szafnauer argued that certain punishments or penalty points handed to his driver simply didn't fit the crime, and thus brought forward at a recent F1 Commission meeting a plan to scrap from any driver's slate the corresponding minor offenses and their points.

However, save for a handful of Alpine's competitors, the proposition was not accepted by a majority of F1's teams, even despite the FIA taking a more relaxed approach this season to benign transgressions.

"I was in the minority," Szafnauer told Autosport. "There were probably three or four out of the 10 teams that supported it."

"Some of those who did not admit the reason [why] they are not supporting it was for opportunistic reasons, hoping that something happens to us."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Team Talk: F1's final week of pre-season testing in Bahrain

Aston Martin – 128 laps Mike Krack, Chief Trackside Officer “We have concluded our test…

23 seconds ago

Hamilton re-set and refreshed: ‘For a moment, I forgot who I was’

Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…

1 hour ago

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

17 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

18 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

20 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

21 hours ago