F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Melbourne keeping an 'open mind' about night race GP

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation should be "open minded" about the possibility of running its event under the floodlights in Melbourne, insists AGPC boss Andrew Westacott.

Melbourne has a long-term deal in place with Formula 1 that will see the sport race at Albert Park until at least 2037.

Give the longevity of AGPC's new contract, Westacott believes that switching the event to a night race in the future – a status already enjoyed by six races on this year's calendar – is an option that should be considered.

"[For] the [Australian Grand Prix] Corporation, the preference is in the [race happening in] sunshine," Westacott told Sky F1 on Friday.

"But what I would also say is, as you evolve, the one thing that Victoria does well is innovate in major events.

"You've got to look at the 15-year horizon now and that's why the Victorian government saw that this was important to secure [the new deal] – you can actually do things into the future.

"The great thing is we've had a partnership with Formula 1 since 1996 and therefore you can do these things with a very strong relationship. So be open-minded is probably the simple answer."

While a night race Down Under would place Melbourne's event in a better time slot for European F1 fans, the change would also require a significant investment in terms of lighting infrastructure.

While Westacott, who will pass on his baton as AGPC boss at the end of the year, made no mention of any talks with Formula 1 on the matter, Stefano Domenicali said the topic had been discussed with Melbourne's organisers.

"We discussed about it, why not?" the F1 CEO told The Australian Financial Review.

"It’s a matter of investment. But it could be attractive, that’s why when you plan [ahead] for so long, you can really think what is the best to create new products."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

17 minutes ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

2 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

2 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

3 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

5 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

6 hours ago