F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Schumacher reportedly courted by Alpine WEC team

Rumors have emerged that Mick Schumacher could join Alpine’s World Endurance Championship squad in 2024, but the young German could also remain Mercedes’ go-to reserve driver in F1.

After two formative seasons with Haas, Schumacher was forced to put his active F1 career on pause at the end of 2022, when the US outfit opted not to renew the German’s contract.

But Schumacher was nevertheless able to keep a foot in F1’s door this season thanks to Mercedes who nominated the 24-year-old as its official reserve driver.

According to a report from Motorport.com, Alpine’s sportscar team is keen on signing a big name for its programme, with Schumacher rumored to have been short-listed by the French manufacturer.

Read also:

However, should Schumacher eventually choose to indulge in a full programme in the WEC, such a move would not necessarily force him out of the Mercedes family.

“Mick has a place here as our reserve driver and is part of the family,” said the Mercedes F1 boss.

“We hope that he stays with us in that role. We will give him time in the car and he can get a works seat with another manufacturer in WEC or sportscars or wherever.

“We will always have this home here for him. Whatever programme he does decide, he can stay, if it is possible from the other side, with us as a reserve driver.”

By his own admittance, Schumacher’s priority is to return to the grid in F1 in 2024. But Alfa Romeo confirmed last week that it would entrust its cars once again next year to Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu, closing one potential opportunity for Schumacher.

AlphaTauri is also a dead end for Schumacher as Red Bull currently has three drivers – Yuki Tsunoda, Daniel Ricciardo and Liam Lawson – for two seats available at the Faenza-based outfit.

Williams remains the viable only option for Schumacher. Albon will remain with the Grove squad but the team has yet to decide the fate of Logan Sargeant.

It is believed that team boss James Vowles is favourble to keeping the young American on board, but a report from Blick claims that Aston Martin reserve Felipe Drugovich is pushing for the seat as Sargeant’s replacement.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

25 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

1 hour ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

2 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

2 hours ago

Tech F1i: A look at the F1 teams' array of upgrades at Zandvoort

Formula 1 returns from its summer break with the competitive order still finely poised, and…

3 hours ago

Alonso offers no timeline on Aston Martin F1 future

While Williams and Red Bull provided clarity this week on their line-ups for 2027 and…

4 hours ago