Vandoorne praises Alonso for support on debut

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Stoffel Vandoorne says Fernando Alonso is helping him hit the ground running at the start of his first F1 race weekend in Bahrain.

The Belgian driver was only called up to replace Alonso on Thursday afternoon after the Spaniard was ruled out by injury. While Vandoorne admits it has been a busy 24 hours for him since getting the call to race, he is pleased with how he has handled the situation so far and thanked Alonso for his input.

"It was a bit chaotic when I arrived in the circuit with all the media attention and I feel there are high expectations, but I didn’t have any problems today," Vandoorne said. "And I’m sure I’ll be able to do better tomorrow.

"Having Fernando by my car didn’t put any extra pressure on me, it was actually quite nice from him to be there and giving his opinion on the set-up changes we should do, so I felt he was helping me today."

And Vandoorne is confident he will continue to improve as the weekend progresses having never driven the 2016 car before Friday.

“It feels good to finally have the chance to take part in a Grand Prix. I had been waiting for this opportunity for a while now, I’ve been getting good results in the championships where I’ve been running and today things went reasonably well in both sessions.

"I had never tested this car, this was my first time on it but I adapted pretty quickly and I feel I made a lot of progress in the afternoon session. Let’s see what the rest of the weekend will bring.

"Today I had to learn a lot of things about the car and the performance will come, as I have to get used to everything. There’s potential to do a lot better but I’m not setting myself any goals. I’ll just my best with the team and then we’ll see what result we get at the end of the weekend."

Vandoorne finished FP2 in 11th place, 0.7s slower than team-mate Jenson Button who was a surprise third.

REPORT: Rosberg heads Hamilton and Button in FP2

AS IT HAPPENED: Bahrain Grand Prix FP2

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

55 mins ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

2 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

3 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

4 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

5 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

6 hours ago