F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Jordan urges Red Bull to give Albon another go in 2025

Former F1 team owner Eddie Jordan has thrown his weight behind Alex Albon, urging Red Bull to consider giving the Williams driver another chance to prove his worth at the top level of motorsport.

Albon was unexpectedly promoted to Toro Rosso in 2019 and performed well enough to enjoy a mid-season switch to Red Bull Racing where he replaced Pierre Gasly.

However, the Anglo-Thai’s results ultimately fell short of expectations, and he was replaced by Sergio Perez at the end of the 2020 season.

After a year on the sidelines, Albon returned to the grid in 2022 with Williams and rebounded strongly with the British outfit as he showcased once again his talent and potential.

Speaking on the Formula for Success podcast with David Coulthard, Jordan believes that Albon’s performances last year with Williams warrant another chance with the bulls.

“I have a real soft spot for Albon,” he said on the Formula For Success podcast. “I just think that given the right situations I think he could really, really be mustard.

“I would like to see at some stage that he be given the chance alongside Max [Verstappen], because I think he might be a big surprise.”

Jordan's comments add to the growing chorus of support for Albon, who is now firmly back on the radar of top teams for 2025.

There’s little doubt that the 27-year-old would perform better at Red Bull relative to Max Verstappen compared to his stint alongside the Dutchman three years ago.

But racing on a par with Verstappen, let alone beating the latter, would still be a tall order for Albon who recently opened up on the “eye-wateringly sharp” driving style he witnessed during his time alongside the three-time world champion.

“A lot of people say that car is built around him, he’s kind of like the Michael Schumacher of Ferrari, he’s created this team around him,” Albon told the High Performance podcast.

“Truthfully, the car is what it is, he is very quick. He has quite a unique driving style, it’s not that easy to get along with.

“Everyone has a driving style. I would say my driving style is a bit more on the smooth side, but I like a car that has a good front-end, so quite sharp, quite direct.

“Max does too, but his level of sharp and direct is a whole different level. It’s eye-wateringly sharp.

“To give people an explanation of what that might feel like, if you bump up the sensitivity [on a computer game] completely to the max and you move that mouse and it’s just darting across the screen everywhere, that’s kind of how it feels.

“It becomes so sharp that it makes you a little bit tense.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Leclerc fastest midday in Bahrain on final day of testing

Ferrari laid down another statement in the opening session of Friday’s final day of pre-season…

2 hours ago

Penske's journey from driver to the Captain

Racing legend Roger Penske turns 89 today, but don't expect the Captain to take his…

3 hours ago

Leclerc and Sainz sound warning as F1 plans Sprint expansion

Formula 1’s plan to double its Sprint races from six to 12 per season in…

3 hours ago

Domenicali hits back at 2026 F1 critics: ‘We need to stay calm’

Stefano Domenicali has a message for Formula 1’s growing chorus of worriers: take a deep…

5 hours ago

Sainz: Williams has clawed back lost mileage – but work remains

Carlos Sainz believes Williams has recovered the crucial mileage it lost by missing January’s Barcelona…

6 hours ago

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

20 hours ago