F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Russell’s phone buzzing with inquiries about Hamilton’s seat

George Russell has revealed that he has received phone calls and text messages from drivers vying for the opportunity to partner him at Mercedes from 2025.

The Brackley squad is seeking to fill the coveted seat that will be vacated by Lewis Hamilton at the end of the season following his decision to move to Ferrari.

With several drivers seemingly in the running, the coming months are likely to be filled with speculation, negotiations, and potentially even rivalries brewing.

All of this will add another layer of excitement to the upcoming season, as not only the championship battle heats up, but also the fight for the prestigious Mercedes seat unfolds behind the scenes.

And Russell’s comments add to the narrative about a flurry of behind-the-scenes maneuverings as ambitious racers aim to secure a potentially championship-winning drive.

"We've already had conversations and I've been with Toto a lot this winter, so seeing the drivers' names pop up on the telephone has been quite funny,” he said.

"Even on my phone as well, I've had a few phone calls and text messages so it's been quite interesting.

“As a team, we've got a good opportunity and we're in a really good position to go into this next chapter. There's been so much success with Lewis and Mercedes.

Losing Hamilton undoubtedly represents a significant loss for Mercedes, both in terms of on-track prowess and his galvanizing presence within the team.

However, it's not just his future absence that raises concerns. Key personnel departures in the wake of their recent struggles have also contributed to a sense of flux within the organization.

But Russell believes that a professional mindset at the team will prevail.

-"So far it [team dynamic] hasn't changed at all. I think everybody is professional, we've all got our job at hand," said Russell.

"The engineers are just motivated to try to deliver the fastest car possible and Lewis is still motivated to do the best job possible. So within the team, it seems like nothing has changed."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

15 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

1 hour ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

5 hours ago