F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Marko fully expects Mercedes to contact Verstappen

Helmut Marko says he “would be surprised” if Mercedes doesn’t contact Max Verstappen given the current turmoil surrounding Red Bull Racing.

The controversy embroiling Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner is put a dark cloud, not only over the latter’s future but also over the entire team.

Following an internal investigation ordered by Red Bull GmbH, Horner was cleared last week of allegations of misconduct involving a female employee of the team.

But the developments that subsequently unfolded in Bahrain, with a potentially incriminating ‘dossier’ leaked to senior F1 personnel followed by Jos Verstappen’s public call for Horner to be removed from the team, continue to project a dark light on the Briton’s prospects.

Reports suggest that several high-profile figures at Red Bull Racing, such as CTO Adrian Newey and perhaps Max Verstappen himself, have clauses in their contracts that would allow them to leave the team if Horner is no longer at the helm.

Read also:

This could create – or indeed perhaps already has – a massive opportunity for Mercedes to move in and pluck Verstappen from the bull pen and hand him in due time the vacant seat of Ferrari-bound Lewis Hamilton.

Asked in Bahrain last weekend if he expects Mercedes to contact Verstappen, Marko told Austria’s Krone Zeitung: “I would be surprised if they hadn't!

“But Max is a very loyal driver.”

Uncredited

Adding fuel to that explosive fire, Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff was seen in conversation with Jos Verstappen after Saturday’s race. It is also rumored that the two had dinner together on Friday in Bahrain.

Wolff responded to questions about his informal chat with Verstappen Sr.

“I have known Jos for 25 years – with ups and downs and I simply congratulated on his son’s achievement. Max is driving in a galaxy of his own”, he said, quoted by F1-Insider.

However, when pressed about whether Verstappen could become a candidate for Hamilton’s seat at Mercedes, Wolff said: “Everything is possible”.

Speaking earlier in a press session with the British media, Wolff kept the intrigue regarding Verstappen alive.

“A driver will always choose the quickest car, that is fundamentally what it is all about,” he said.

As for Verstappen, the Dutchman may soon be contemplating greener pastures at Brackley, leaving behind what could be described as scorched earth at Milton Keynes. Only time will tell…

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

44 minutes ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

1 hour ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

2 hours ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

4 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

5 hours ago

Verstappen struggling with both health and car for Zandvoort finale

Max Verstappen admitted after qualifying at Zandvoort that he has been feeling under the weather…

6 hours ago