F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Mekies promises Miami upgrade to keep RB 'surfing on top'

Visa Cash App RB team principal Laurent Mekies has promised that the squad will be rolling out new upgrades for the next Grand Prix in Miami to keep them ahead of their midfield rivals.

RB is currently in sixth place on the constructors standings ahead of Haas, Williams, Alpine and Sauber thanks to Yuki Tsunoda finishing in the top ten in Australia and Japan.

But both Tsunoda and team mate Daniel Ricciardo were involved in accidents during the Chinese Grand Prix that meant they came away from Shanghai empty-handed - something Mekies doesn't want to happen again in Miami.

Aware of how close things are between RB and Haas after the first five races of the season, Mekies confirmed that they would be fielding upgrades next week despite it being a Sprint weekend with limited practice time.

"We'll have an update in Miami to help us try to keep surfing on the top of that very edge," he told Motorsport.com last week. "I'm sure our competitors will bring updates as well.

"There is nothing guaranteed in this group," he continued, "and only if you nail the weekend will you get to that P10."

"We've never been confident that we have the quickest car of the five [teams at the back]," he acknowledged. "We got it there by half a tenth in Australia, half a tenth in Japan and we missed it by a 10th and a half in China.

"In the race we were probably equal, or if not half a tenth ahead, so we've never had any confidence. It's a battle every time," he admitted. "But it's a fantastic exercise for everyone.

"It's superb training for the team to execute sharp weekends, and you need a strong race from every perspective," he said. "It's only by doing that you will get a point.

"As soon as one of these elements - be it tyre management, strategy, or anything - falls off the cliff, you will give up that point."

In Shanghai, Tsunoda spun out after he was clipped by Kevin Magnussen, at the same time that Ricciardo was rear-ended by Lance Stroll. Both cars were forced to retire, their first double DNF of the season.

“It was a disappointing Sunday for us with both cars taken out of the race in separate incidents which our drivers could do nothing about. It’s painful but we have no other choice than to accept it and move on.

"On a positive note everyone has been working very hard to recover enough pace to be in the fight for P10 again," he added.

"We have been regrouping with Daniel, Yuki, and the whole team in Faenza and in Bicester to analyse the weekend together and come back stronger in Miami for another ultra-tight battle - and hopefully a less frustrating Sunday!”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

6 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

7 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

7 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

8 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

10 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

11 hours ago