Verstappen: Perez first corner lock-up ‘could have ended in disaster’

Max Verstappen says he was very much aware of Sergio Perez’s looming presence behind him at the start of the Miami Grand Prix, insisting his Red Bull teammate’s lock-up into Turn 1 “could have ended in disaster”.

Sensing an opportunity as Ferrari's Charles Leclerc had a sluggish start, Perez who had launched his race from fourth on the grid lunged for the inside line to snatch second place behind his teammate Max Verstappen.

However, the audacious move turned risky when the Mexican locked up as he entered the first corner and nearly collided with the back of Verstappen's car as they both navigated the tight right-hander.

Perez ended up running wide across the tarmac run-off area, rejoining the race in fifth place.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner acknowledged the risky maneuver which he attributed to Leclerc’s weak start. The Briton was relieved to see both of the team’s cars escape the tricky situation unscathed.

Read also:

"His start was optimistic. Charles didn't have a great start ahead, I think that caused Checo... he had to lift for Charles and then he had a window into the first corner," explained Horner.

"He went for it, obviously got in very deep and was lucky not to collect Max at the first turn and not to collect the Ferrari coming back onto the track.

"So I was pleased to see most cars survive that."

As Verstappen took command of proceedings, the Dutchman was acutely “aware” that a ruinous disaster had been narrowly avoided.

"I was very aware. I turned in and I saw him lock up," he said. "And I looked after the race, there was like a scratch on my diffuser. So something must have hit.

"But yeah, it was very close. Could have ended in a disaster of course, for the team as well. So yeah, lucky."

©RedBull

Reflecting on the near miss with his teammate, Perez acknowledged the inherent risk he took, especially considering the precarious nature of Turn 1.

The corner had already claimed a victim earlier in the weekend, when a similar maneuver by Lewis Hamilton at the start of Saturday’s sprint event led to a melee that eliminated McLaren’s Lando Norris.

"I had a good start, Charles had a really bad start, but as soon as I brake into the inside there was no grip, like with Lewis [Hamilton] yesterday [in the Sprint]," Perez explained.

"And offline there was no grip, and I ended up locking. I nearly took Max out. So I had to come off the brake and I lost a position to Oscar.

"It was quite unfortunate, but other than that, I think, we were struggling for some pace today. We just couldn't manage to get a pace where we needed and, yeah, something that we got to work on to try and understand why, what was the issue."

Perez concluded his afternoon in fifth position, but gained a spot in the race’s final classification following Carlos Sainz’s time penalty and demotion from P4 to P5.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Lando Norris delivered a strong performance in Saturday’s qualifying at Zandvoort, the McLaren heading the…

46 minutes ago

Leclerc insists Ferrari ‘have got to work’ on SF-26’s qualifying pace

Charles Leclerc has no complaints about Ferrari’s race-day strength. The problem is getting the SF-25…

1 hour ago

Antonelli reckons Turn 1 mistake cost him shot at Dutch GP pole

Kimi Antonelli was left wondering what might have been after a costly Turn 1 mistake…

2 hours ago

Norris credits ‘big balls’ for fearless Dutch GP pole lap

Lando Norris produced the sort of qualifying lap that leaves little room for modesty –…

2 hours ago

Wolff admits Mercedes-Verstappen hook up now a long shot

With Mercedes locking down George Russell and Kimi Antonelli through 2027, and Red Bull securing…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Norris beats Mercedes drivers to Zandvoort pole

Lando Norris snatched pole position for the Dutch Grand Prix with a late qualifying charge…

4 hours ago