F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Andretti shocked by Liberty chief’s vow to block F1 team’s entry

Mario Andretti says Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei personally told him that he would go out of his way to block Andretti Global’s entry into F1, an explicit stance that shocked the F1 legend.

Andretti recounted a sinister run-in with Maffei in Miami and how the ominous shadow of power loomed over him.

The 1978 F1 World Champion said the Liberty chief executive suddenly butted into a conversation he was having with F1 boss Stefano Domenicali on the Saturday of the Miami GP weekend to deliver a dire warning, before walking away.

“Mr Maffei broke into the conversation and he said: ‘Mario, I want to tell you that I will do everything in my power to see that Michael never enters Formula 1,'” Andretti told NBC.

“I could not believe that. That one really floored me.

“We’re talking about business. I didn’t know it was something so personal. That was really — oh, my goodness. I could not believe it. It was just like a bullet through my heart.”

While the FIA greenlit Andretti's application in October 2023, Formula One Management threw a wrench into the US outfit’s the plans by rejecting their entry in January 2024.

Undeterred, Andretti has pressed forward with preparations for a potential 2026 debut.

Last month, Andretti established a technical base in Silverstone, UK, staffed with approximately 80 personnel.

Greg Maffei, Liberty Media Chief Executive Officer, with F1 boss Stefano Domenicali.

Furthermore, the team announced earlier this week the high-profile hiring of Pat Symonds as a consultant, a significant coup for Andretti.

Symonds, a former FOM chief technical officer, brings invaluable experience to the table. The Briton played a key role in shaping the current technical regulations and even helped develop the new rules scheduled for 2026 – precisely when Andretti hopes to be joining the fray.

FOM's decision to block Andretti has generated significant controversy, particularly in the United States. This week, six US senators sent a letter to the Department of Justice's Antitrust Division, expressing concerns over FOM's stance.

The letter highlights the potential economic benefits of an American team in F1, questioning FOM's motives for exclusion. The senators suggest that barring Andretti could be a move to "insulate its current partners from competition," raising potential antitrust concerns.

“Clearly there is a financial incentive to adding an American team to F1’s roster, and there is no reason they should be blocked unless [Formula One Management] is trying to insulate its current partners from competition,” they stated.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Hamilton re-set and refreshed: ‘For a moment, I forgot who I was’

Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…

22 mins ago

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

16 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

17 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

19 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

20 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

22 hours ago