F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Perez: Ferrari ‘just not reachable’ for Red Bull in Monaco

Sergio Perez felt that F1 rival Ferrari was “just not reachable” for Red Bull based on the opening day of running at the Monaco Grand Prix and Charles Leclerc’s leading pace.

The local hero topped Friday’s second practice with almost a 0.2s margin over Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilto, while championship leader Max Verstappen was fourth in the pecking order, 0.535s adrift from Leclerc, while Perez was P8.

Perez had previously suggested that the Principality’s unique characteristics might pose a challenge for Red Bull's car. Unfortunately, this concern materialized throughout Friday practice.

Both Red Bull drivers complained of their bumpy ride, the lack of compliance of their car’s suspension inducing severe instability on a hot lap as the RB20 struggled to cope with the track’s bumps and bounces.

Meanwhile, Ferrari’s SF-24 appeared unchallenged by the uneven and jerky track, leaving Perez thoroughly impressed and concerned.

"Ferrari at the moment are just not reachable," Perez said. "I think they're really strong and whenever they need the lap, they just seem to put it on really easy, really quick.

"It's something that is quite a benefit around this place, to be able to put the lap in quick and whenever you need it to, and don't struggle so much with tyres and that sort of thing.

"They're looking very strong at the moment."

©RedBull

The Mexican driver felt that Red Bull has its work cut out to change its current trajectory in the Principality.

“It’s going to be tough,” he said. “I think our limitations are really hard to get away from them at the moment, and the ride.

“So we’ll see what we are able to come up with tonight. We run two cars slightly different. I don’t know what the issues for Max were.

“So plenty of things. The long-run pace seems to be in a better condition, but obviously it’s just too late. We just have to wait and see.

“I think we’ve got a few items that we need to be able to improve. And then hopefully it can put us back in the fight, and just be closer to the top. I think it’s looking tough at the moment.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

50 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

2 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

3 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

4 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago