F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Red Bull set to clarify Lawson F1 future in September

Liam Lawson’s path to a full-time Formula 1 seat remains uncertain, with Red Bull set to reveal in September its decision regarding the young Kiwi’s future.

Red Bull’s official reserve driver impressed during his five-race stint with AlphaTauri last season when he replaced the injured Daniel Ricciardo, sparking speculation about a potential promotion to a full-time race seat with the Faenza-based squad.

However, Red Bull opted to retain Daniel Ricciardo for the 2024 season, leaving Lawson on the sidelines and with hazy prospects.

The 22-year-old was nevertheless in action recently at Imola where he took part in a filming day with Visa Cash App RB, alongside Ricciardo and Yuki Tsunoda.

While Red Bull will clarify Lawson’s future in September, Helmut Marko has ruled out loaning its talented junior bull to a rival team, which perhaps hints at a race seat awaiting the Kiwi in 2025.

“We will announce what happens next with Liam Lawson in September,” Marko wrote in his regular column for Speedweek.

“The fact that he was able to gain more Formula 1 kilometres of experience in Imola had been planned for some time. Even if the competition would like to use him on loan, he is not available for that.”

If Lawson has indeed been earmarked for a full-time seat with Red Bull, the most logical opportunity would be RB where Tsunoda has been confirmed for 2025, but where Ricciardo’s fate has yet to be decided.

©RB

The 35-year-old F1 veteran might be facing a binary outcome. Should he perform well in the second half of the F1 season, he might still be in line for a return to Red Bull Racing if Sergio Perez continues to disappoint. If not, Ricciardo could be in the midst of his final season of F1.

Marko also said that Red Bull is also keeping a close eye on the progress of Isack Hadjar, who is currently leading the FIA Formula 2 Championship and who, he suggests, could take over Lawson’s test and simulator duties.

“Our Formula 2 driver Isack Hadjar took his fourth victory in the top formula racing class at Spa,” Marko said.

“He clearly has the potential for Formula 1. We’ll see how everything develops, but he will certainly take on a role of some kind. It could be that, like Lawson, he will spend a year as a test and simulator driver.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

56 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

2 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

5 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

6 hours ago