F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Verstappen: 'Nothing wrong’ with Wolff's continued advances

Max Verstappen says he sees “nothing wrong” with the continued advances made by Mercedes boss Toto Wolff to lure him away from Red Bull at some point in the future, even despite his long-term contract with Red Bull that runs until 2028.

Speaking after Saturday’s qualifying at the Dutch Grand Prix, Verstappen’s comment comes a day after Wolff revealed that he held talks during the summer break with the three-time world champion’s management, name his father Jos and Raymond Vermeulen.

Wolff, who shares a close friendship with Jos Verstappen, has been vocal about his dream of seeing the Dutchman move to Brackley.

Referring to the two camp’s recent talks, the Austrian alluded to a possibility of Verstappen moving to Mercedes as early as next season. Ultimately however, both parties opted to leave things unchanged for 2025.

When asked about the meeting after qualifying, a skittish Verstappen said: "Which meeting? I don't remember."

However, when asked whether it was time for Wolff to stop talking and move on, Verstappen disagreed.

"No, I mean, everyone can say what they want," said the Red Bull driver.

"I get on very well with Toto. I think he's very open about what's happening within his team, right? Also I think with the driver line-up and stuff.

“So there's nothing wrong with that. And at the same time, also, I just focus on my job. There's a lot to do anyway. So, yeah, we just focus on that."

©RedBull

Verstappen concluded qualifying in second position, 0.356s behind poleman Lando Norris.

In Saturday’s post-race press conference, the Dutchman was asked about the McLaren driver’s potential to become a world-championship winning driver.

Despite their friendship being tested earlier in the season when they collided at the Austrian Grand Prix, Verstappen had high praise for his fellow competitor.

"Lando is very, very fast,” he said. “I think that's what you need to be. And that's why he's also in Formula 1, and why he's performing at the level that he's at.

“And it will only get better with experience as well, right? I mean, of course, I've been fighting for championships probably a bit longer, so you're probably a bit more experienced with that.

“But at the end of the day, when the team is working well, the car is working well, you're driving well, then it just comes to you as well. So, yeah, I never doubted that anyway."

Despite the ongoing rumors and Wolff’s clear interest, Verstappen remains focused on his current role at Red Bull, where he continues to thrive as one of the top drivers in Formula 1.

As for Wolff, it seems his pursuit of Verstappen will persist, keeping the possibility of a future collaboration alive.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

1 hour ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

3 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

18 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

20 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

21 hours ago