F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Michael Andretti relinquishes control of Andretti Global!

Michael Andretti is to step back from the race team he founded, Andretti Global with immediate effect, with control being taken by Daniel Towriss, CEO of the Group 1001 insurance and financial services business.

Andretti, the 1991 CART IndyCar Series champion who cofounded the business, will continue to work with the organisation in an advisory and ambassadorial role, the announcement released on Friday said.

“Michael’s goal has been to transition to a more strategic role with Andretti Global and focus less on the operational side of the race team,” a statement from Andretti Global said.

“Michael and Dan Towriss have been working closely on developing this new structure, one which Michael is excited to see take shape under Dan’s guidance.

“Michael remains engaged and will continue to serve as a strategic advisor and key ambassador. We will have more to share in the coming weeks, after Michael and Dan have had an opportunity to speak to the team.”

More detailed explanations for the reasons behind the ownership change and management shakeup was not given at the time.

Towriss and Group 101 first entered IndyCar in 2018 as the sponsor of driver Zach Veach in the #26 Andretti car. Towriss was subsequently very involved in Andretti's bid to buy or launch a new Formula 1 team.

However F1 has been opposed to the idea of Andretti joining F1 as a a team owner with Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei once telling Mario Andretti "I want to tell you that I will do everything in my power to see that Michael never enters F1.”

Michael Andretti alongside father Mario and Dan Towriss.

FOM it had rejected Andretti’s appeal at the start of 2024 citing cited multiple reasons, including a potential lack of competitiveness on Andretti Global’s part and questioning whether Andretti would add any value to F1.

The US Department of Justice hads since launched an antitrust investigation into F1 owner Liberty Media in order to determine if the rejection of Andretti was legal.

Towriss’ rumoured investment into Andretti Global is understood to match or exceed that of Andretti. He and Andretti both took directoral roles in the new Andretti Acquisitions Corporation investment vehicle launched in 2022.

Over the intervening years it has enabled the team to add Colton Herta and Marcus Ericsson to its burgeoning lineup to its existing standard three-car IndyCar line-up.

It's unclear whether this development is related to last week’s raid of the Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing IndyCar and IMSA team by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The raid was instigated in relation to a former Andretti Global employee who is alleged to have taken intellectual property from Andretti to RLL.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

2 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

3 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

4 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

5 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

20 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

21 hours ago