F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Piastri caught out by track limits in SQ: ‘I tried to go too fast’

Oscar Piastri’s Sprint race prospects in Austin took a major hit on Friday when the McLaren driver was eliminated at the first hurdle in qualifying.

The Aussie found himself struggling with track limits at The Circuit of the Americas, admittedly for trying too hard during his final flyer in SQ1.

The McLaren charger had initially set the seventh fastest lap, more than good enough to progress to the next segment. However, his time was invalidated after he ran wide at the penultimate corner, leading to his unexpected elimination from qualifying.

“Most of the lap was good,” Piastri told F1 TV after his session was cut short. “I made a few mistakes in the last sector and obviously the second-last corner, I just tried to go a bit too fast and this is the result.

‘So it’s a shame, but if there’s one good thing about sprint weekends it’s that we have another shot tomorrow.”

The elimination came after a mixed start to the weekend for McLaren, with both Piastri and teammate Lando Norris struggling to find the speed and comfort they’ve had in recent races.

Despite this, Piastri had shown promising pace in the lone practice session earlier in the day, finishing fifth fastest, just 0.04 seconds behind Norris.

Still, neither driver looked as confident in the car as they have in previous rounds.

"It feels okay," commented Piastri. "Maybe not quite as strong as what it has been in the last few races, but I don’t think that’s because we’re weak, I think the others seem a little bit stronger."

Piastri was quick to dispel any concerns that McLaren was significantly off the pace, indicating that they were still competitive despite the tougher conditions in Austin.

"Let’s see. I’m sure we’re still well and truly in the fight,” he added. “It’s certainly not a case of we’re miles behind, but it’s maybe a little bit more difficult for us than a few of the other weekends."

However, starting 16th in the Sprint means that the 23-year-old will have his work cut out to score points in Saturday’s 30-minute mad dash, with only the top eight finishers being rewarded.

Piastri acknowledged the challenge ahead.

"We’ll see. It’s going to be tough, definitely to get to the points from where we are. But we’ll try. We’ll see what we can do,” he concluded.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

11 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

13 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

15 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

16 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

17 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

18 hours ago