©Mercedes
In the world of motorsport where rumors swirl faster than a car around Monaco, Mercedes reserve driver Valtteri Bottas has thrown some playful fuel on the fire.
The Finnish star, known for his cool demeanor and dry humor, took to social media on Monday with a tongue-in-cheek video that’s got his fans buzzing about his potential future with Cadillac F1, the American team set to join the grid in 2026.
With both seats with F1’s new entrant still officially open, Bottas decided to fan the flames in his own light-hearted way. The current Mercedes reserve driver was filmed inspecting a Cadillac SUV, delivering a not-so-subtle nod to his own name being in the mix.
“Oh wow, that's actually a nice seat,” Bottas says as he admires the car’s leather interior. “It’s a great seat,” chimes in his friend and Mercedes photographer Ripke. Bottas agreed: “I wouldn’t mind.”
Then came the kicker.
Ripke notes, “There’s two seats.” To which Bottas shoots back, “And they’re both free?” After a playful pause, Ripke asks if he wants to try one out. Bottas grins: “Not yet,” seemingly tempting to add “Not until I sign my contract”.
The video comes amid speculation that Cadillac could be considering several F1 veterans – Bottas among them – for their 2026 debut.
While the 35-year-old Finn may be out of a race seat this year after parting ways with Sauber, he’s made it clear he’s not ready to hang up the helmet.
“I’m sitting here now without a race seat, not because of my own choice,” Bottas said earlier this month on the Beyond The Grid podcast.
“I definitely still feel – and that emotion was quite quick after I knew I wouldn’t get a seat for this year – that I’m not done yet with F1.
Read also:
“I still have more to give. It’s still [the] number one thing in my life. That sensation, now that I’ve been watching aside, has got stronger and stronger and stronger, and now I really start to miss racing.”
Whether it’s a Cadillac seat or another surprise twist, one thing is clear: Bottas is still in the game – and still having fun while he’s at it.
Adrian Newey’s vision for an Aston Martin dynasty is facing a brutal reality check as…
Aston Martin – 128 laps Mike Krack, Chief Trackside Officer “We have concluded our test…
Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…
McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…
Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…
Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…