F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Colapinto set to extend Alpine stint beyond Austrian GP

Franco Colapinto looks set to continue racing for Alpine beyond this weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, despite his initial five-race deal nearing its conclusion.

The young Argentine driver, who stepped into the Alpine seat after replacing Jack Doohan post-Miami Grand Prix, has hinted at remaining with the French team for the upcoming British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

Colapinto’s tenure with the Enstone squad began when Williams – the team with which he made his F1 debut in the latter part of last season - agreed at the start of the year to transfer the 22-year-old to Alpine where he became the outfit's official reserve driver.

However, Colapinto has faced challenges since his promotion to Alpine’s second race seat, although the team itself has also significantly underperformed year-to-date as it currently sits at the bottom of the constructors’ standings.

A Familiar Track and a Chance to Shine

Speaking to the media in Austria on Thursday, Colapinto expressed optimism about his upcoming opportunity at Silverstone, signaling a status quo on the driver front at Alpine.

Reflecting on his debut in Free Practice 1 (FP1) with Williams at last year’s British Grand Prix, he highlighted the significance of that moment in his career.

“Austria was also where I heard I was driving for the first time in a Free Practice 1, so the weekend here was also very special,” Colapinto said.

“Silverstone was the first time I drove the Williams last season and it was, in general, just a very special session to be doing my first FP1 with the team.”

The Argentine believes his previous experience at Silverstone will provide an advantage as he aims to impress Alpine’s management and secure his seat for the remainder of the 2025 season.

“I did a good job there next to Alex and it was really good for my future and probably what put me in that situation to jump in later in the year, so it was a very important weekend,” he noted.

“To be able to have that comparison now at the same track I did a run in the Williams last season, it’s cool. It’s a bit more knowledge, a bit more experience.”

Read also:

Colapinto also emphasized the benefit of familiarity with the high-speed Silverstone circuit.

“It always becomes easier as well when you already drove a Formula 1 at that track. You don’t get that shock of speed,” he said.

“Good to move forward to Silverstone too. It’s a great track, full of high speed and I love driving there.”

While an official announcement on Colapinto’s extension has yet to be made, all signs suggest he will remain in the cockpit at least through Silverstone – with the next few races potentially determining whether he stays in the seat for the remainder of the 2025 season.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

1 hour ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

2 hours ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

16 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

17 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

18 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

19 hours ago