F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Alpine ‘a few races away’ from 2026 driver decision - Nielsen

Alpine managing director Steve Nielsen has offered a glimpse into the team’s 2026 driver plans, hinting that a decision on Pierre Gasly’s teammate is not far off.

With the Frenchman locked in as the team’s anchor for next season, F1 fans are eagerly awaiting clarity on who will partner Gasly next season.

The latter has been Alpine’s lone consistent performer this year, claiming all 20 points the team has amassed so far. Meanwhile, the Enstone-based squad has experienced turbulence both on and off the track, with team principal Ollie Oakes resigning after the Miami Grand Prix and Jack Doohan departing the team shortly after.

Franco Colapinto, initially a reserve driver, stepped into Doohan’s seat and has been slowly coming into his own. Nielsen praised the Argentine’s adaptation, acknowledging the challenges that come with a rookie season in Formula 1.

“I think it’s difficult for any of the new drivers coming in,” Nielsen told media in Singapore. “We’ve seen ebb and flow in lots of them that have come from F2 – five came from F2 last year, which is good.

Alpine managing director Steve Nielsen.

“Franco had a difficult start. I think we’ve seen that equalise and calm down a little bit. He’s now had the measure of Pierre in the last two or three races. So he’s on a par with him, which is good.”

Colapinto’s end-of-season form in 2024 with Williams had already hinted at his potential, and Nielsen’s comments suggest that the young driver is now a serious contender to remain Gasly’s teammate in 2026.

Aron Remains in the Frame

While Colapinto has gained attention, Paul Aron, Alpine’s current reserve driver, has also been cited as a potential contender, according to Flavio Briatore himself.

“We don’t know where that slope will end – whether it’s going to continue,” Nielsen said of Colapinto’s newfound competitiveness. “We hope it does.

“And then we’ll make our decision on Franco and whoever else is in the frame when we have to. But we’re a few races away from that yet.”

Nielsen’s careful wording confirms that while Colapinto’s recent performances are promising, the team is weighing its options and is prepared to evaluate Aron’s potential before making a call on 2026, with a verdict expected before the season’s final checkered flag.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

11 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

12 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

12 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

13 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

15 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

16 hours ago