F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sainz says F1 broadcast criticism was ‘blown out of proportion’

Carlos Sainz has moved to clarify his recent remarks about Formula 1’s television coverage of the Singapore Grand Prix, insisting that his comments were “blown out of proportion” after sparking widespread discussion online.

The Spanish driver had previously criticised the Marina Bay broadcast for focusing too much on celebrity shots and paddock guests rather than key moments of on-track action – including his own charge through the field and late-race heroics.

But speaking ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas, Sainz said the reaction to his comments had taken on a life of its own.

“Blown out of proportion”

“I didn’t need an answer,” he told reporters when asked about F1’s official statement defending its broadcast direction.

“I think, like always, that my comments were a bit blown out of proportion. The fact that I mentioned the girlfriends or the WAGs, however you call them, it brought a bit of spiciness to the comment and went a bit more viral worldwide,” Sainz explained.

“And maybe what it should have been just a simple critique about… I think it is clear that in Singapore the broadcast didn’t do a good job.

“I mean, there’s other races where they do an incredible job and they show us incredible things and incredible track action.

“For me, Singapore was not good.”

“Everyone has their own right to say”

The 31-year-old said his remarks were intended as constructive feedback rather than personal criticism, and compared the broadcast’s off-day to his own performances as a driver.

“But the same thing, I have good weekends in my life where I perform at a very high level. On other weekends, I don’t do a good job,” he added.

“You guys analyse it, you give me a rating. I did a 4 out of 10 and then you tell me I did a 10 out of 10.

“Obviously, everyone has their own right to say. For me, Singapore was just not good enough and they missed way too much track action.”

A Missed Opportunity in Singapore

Sainz said the disappointing coverage was particularly unfortunate given that overtaking opportunities are rare at Marina Bay – a circuit where he helped provide some of the weekend’s standout moments.

“[It] doesn’t mean it’s a critique to them or the way they do their job. It’s just Singapore; it’s a shame that in a track where it’s so difficult to overtake, we missed so many,” he explained.

“I hope they didn’t take it personally or I hope they didn’t.”

While Sainz may have wished for less viral “spiciness,” his comments have reignited a broader conversation about how Formula 1 balances sport and spectacle – and how the show sometimes risks missing the very action that fuels it.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

McLaren and Norris fastest midday in Bahrain on Day 5

Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…

14 mins ago

FIA trials longer start procedure to ease turbo challenges

The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…

42 mins ago

Vettel teases dream Le Mans team-up with Verstappen

Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…

2 hours ago

Alonso: Aston Martin’s problems fixable – but time is slipping away

Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…

3 hours ago

Mekies has ‘zero concern’ over Verstappen losing interest in F1

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies has forcefully brushed aside fears that Max Verstappen could…

17 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 4 in pictures

F1 teams returned to the grind on Wednesday in Bahrain for the sport’s final three…

18 hours ago