F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Lawson baffled by Mexico federation’s blame over marshal incident

Racing Bulls’ Liam Lawson has expressed astonishment after Mexico’s motorsport federation, OMDAI, accused him of endangering two track marshals during last month’s Mexico City Grand Prix – despite the FIA clearing him of any wrongdoing.

The incident occurred early in the race when Lawson exited the pits on Lap 3 and unexpectedly came across two marshals retrieving debris from the racing line.

Over team radio, a shocked Lawson exclaimed that he could have “f***ing killed them,” as he swerved to avoid a potentially serious accident.

'I was very surprised'

Speaking ahead of the Sao Paulo Grand Prix, Lawson admitted he was baffled by OMDAI’s decision to point the finger at him.

“I was very surprised,” he told reporters on Thursday. “I think the FIA’s statement was very clear and very accurate.

“So I don’t really need to say too much more than what was put in that statement.

“It was obviously checked into, everything that led to that happening, to the fact that they got caught out there, and everything I did in the car to obviously slow down and avoid them, and take a completely different line to what I’ve taken through the entire weekend.

“But yes, I was extremely surprised. Still am very surprised.”

The FIA’s post-race investigation ruled that Lawson had done everything possible to avoid the marshals, concluding that a “miscommunication” between race control and track officials had allowed them onto the circuit at the wrong moment.

'These things shouldn’t happen'

Lawson revealed that the FIA later apologised to him privately after the race – a gesture he said he appreciated.

“I had a talk with them and I appreciated that a lot,” he said. “I do understand we’re in a sport with a huge amount of variables, and these things, as much as they can’t happen again, they shouldn’t happen.

“There’s always a possibility of something like this, and obviously what’s most important is that the action is taken now to prevent it. So I didn’t have a problem with any of that. It was just the statement that came out, trying to accuse me of doing something.”

Reflecting on the near-miss itself – which came shortly before his race ended with a damaged car — Lawson said his focus in that moment was purely on avoiding a tragedy.

“At the time I was more concerned about the fact that these two guys were running across the track in front of me,” he recalled.

“In that moment I have no idea what direction they’re going to run, and I try to basically do as little direction changes as possible so that they don’t get spooked and change direction.

“So at the time that was really what I was thinking about. Anyway, we had a very damaged car and it didn’t make a difference to our race.”

The FIA’s findings have drawn a line under the matter, but Lawson’s comments underline just how close the sport came to a dangerous incident – and how crucial communication remains in keeping everyone safe.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

32 minutes ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

2 hours ago

Lindblad left frustrated by lost F1 mileage amid troubled start

Arvid Lindblad arrived in Formula 1 carrying the weight of expectation and the confidence of…

3 hours ago

‘It’s exponential’: Apple bullish on F1’s 'beautiful' future in the U.S.

Formula 1’s American revolution is no longer being discussed as a novelty. Inside Apple, it…

20 hours ago

Coulthard left ‘speechless’ Formula E GEN4 car after Monaco blast

David Coulthard has never been short of superlatives in a racing career that took him…

21 hours ago

Not a flying Keke or Mika, but a Finn nevertheless

He wasn't a flying Keke or Mika, but he was nevertheless a Finn and actually…

23 hours ago