F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Bearman released from Suzuka medical center after 50G crash

Oliver Bearman has been discharged from Formula 1’s medical centre at Suzuka after walking away from a terrifying 50G crash during Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.

The young Briton’s race unraveled in an instant midway through the race when he closed in on the slow-moving Alpine of Franco Colapinto as the pair barreled Spoon Curve.

The Haas driver was caught out by the Alpine’s trajectory and reduced speed. A slight drift onto the grass proved catastrophic as the Haas snapped away from Bearman, sending the VF-26 hurtling helplessly into the barriers with brutal force.

Though Bearman managed to climb from the wreckage, he was clearly in pain and limping as trackside crews rushed to assist. He was immediately transferred to the FIA medical centre for precautionary checks.


;

Those fears have now eased. Haas confirmed that X-rays revealed no fractures, with the 20-year-old instead diagnosed with a knee contusion.

In a later update, the team added: “Ollie has been cleared by the Medical Centre,” noting he had been granted dispensation from post-race media duties.

Time to recover

For Bearman, the outcome could have been far worse. The severity of the impact served as a stark reminder of Suzuka’s unforgiving nature, while the incident’s circumstances will likely put scrutiny once again on the sport’s regulations given the speed difference between Colapinto’s energy harvesting car and the Haas.

Bearman’s escape stands as both a relief – and a testament to modern F1 safety.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

19 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

1 hour ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

5 hours ago