F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Fornaroli steps up development with McLaren at Silverstone

Rising Italian talent Leonardo Fornaroli took another significant step in his Formula 1 development on Tuesday, returning to the cockpit of a McLaren car at Silverstone Circuit as part of his expanding role within the team’s junior programme.

The 21-year-old, serving as the Woking-based outfit’s reserve driver this season, completed a full day of running in the MCL60 – its 2023 challenger – marking his second outing in F1 machinery after a maiden test earlier this year in Spain.

This latest session formed part of McLaren’s structured Testing of Previous Cars programme, designed to accelerate Fornaroli’s adaptation to the demands of Formula 1.

Over the course of the day, he logged 68 laps, covering nearly 400 kilometres on one of the sport’s most demanding circuits.

Unlike his debut run at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, this test pushed Fornaroli further, exposing him to more complex scenarios.

The programme included longer runs, variations in fuel load, and work across different tyre compounds – giving him a broader understanding of car behaviour and race-style conditions.

“Another good day on track - it was amazing to be back in the MCL60,” Fornaroli said.

“Silverstone is one of my favourite circuits, so I’m grateful to McLaren for the opportunity to get back behind the wheel of an F1 car there.

“With it being my second test, the run plan was more advanced, so I got to try some different setups and run with different levels of fuel, which continues to support my understanding of driving a Formula 1 car.”

Progress beyond the track

Fornaroli’s development has not been limited to test days alone. In recent weeks, he has been embedded within McLaren’s team environment – both at the track and behind the scenes.

His presence at the Japanese Grand Prix offered further exposure to race operations, while extensive simulator work at McLaren’s headquarters has helped refine his technical feedback and consistency.

That preparation appeared to translate into tangible gains at Silverstone.

“I’m very happy with today, and I continued to make improvements from my test a few weeks ago, getting even more comfortable with these machines,” he added.

McLaren’s long-term plan is clear: gradual, methodical progression. By combining real-world mileage with simulator training and trackside integration, the team is aiming to build a well-rounded driver capable of stepping up when required.

Further tests are already scheduled across the season, with Fornaroli expected to return to the MCL60 at multiple circuits as part of his ongoing development within McLaren’s Driver Development Programme.

“I look forward to continuing to test this year, something that is very important as part of my role as McLaren Mastercard Reserve Driver, and for my development within the DDP programme,” he said.

For now, the focus remains firmly on learning—accumulating laps, refining technique, and adapting to the complexities of Formula 1 machinery. But with each outing, Fornaroli edges closer to being fully prepared for the sport’s biggest stage.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

8 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

9 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

10 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

12 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

13 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

14 hours ago