F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Jos Verstappen: ‘We knew about Lambiase move to McLaren'

The Formula 1 paddock was rocked on Thursday by the revelation that race engineer Gian Piero Lambiase will leave Red Bull Racing for a senior role at McLaren in 2028 – but for one camp, the bombshell landed with far less shock than expected.

For years, Lambiase has been the calm, calculating voice in the ear of Max Verstappen, helping guide the Dutchman to four world championships and cementing one of the most formidable driver-engineer pairings the sport has ever seen.

Their partnership had become synonymous with Red Bull’s recent dominance, making news of the impending split all the more dramatic for fans and insiders alike.

Yet behind the scenes, the Verstappen family had long been aware that this chapter would eventually come to a close. According to Max’s father, Jos Verstappen, the move was not only anticipated – it was understood and even encouraged.

No surprise behind the scenes

While the announcement sent ripples through the Formula 1 world, Jos Verstappen made it clear that those closest to the situation had already seen it coming.

"We knew for a while and we also knew when it was going to happen," Jos told RaceXpress.

"We have another year and a half to two years to work with him. It's a huge opportunity for him, so we understand. We also told him to do it and grab it with both hands. Beyond that, it's up to Red Bull to replace him. We will see."

The comments paint a picture of a transition handled with pragmatism rather than panic – an acknowledgment of both Lambiase’s value and his ambitions beyond Red Bull.

Continuity and stability… for now

Lambiase’s departure has inevitably sparked speculation about Max Verstappen’s own long-term future.

The 71-time Grand Prix winner previously suggested his stay at Red Bull could be tied to his trusted engineer, raising questions about whether this change could trigger a seismic driver move.

But Jos Verstappen struck a more measured tone when addressing those rumours.

"I think things have changed,” he said.

“Certainly after four championships you have achieved a lot together, but that is up to Max. However, I think he will just continue."

For now, stability appears to remain the most likely outcome. While facing the prospect of future without Max’s key ally, the Verstappen camp seems focused on the present – maximising the time left with Lambiase before the next era begins.

Read also: Red Bull and McLaren confirm Lambiase 2028 exit and arrival

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Mercedes targets elusive Zandvoort win as F1 says farewell

Mercedes heads into Formula 1’s final dance at Zandvoort with one glaring omission still sitting…

6 hours ago

Tsunoda linked with shock Meyer Shank move to IndyCar

Yuki Tsunoda’s future could be taking an unexpected turn, with the Red Bull charger reportedly…

7 hours ago

Alex Albon commits to Williams through 2027

Alex Albon has thrown his weight behind Williams’ ambitious revival project, committing to remain with…

9 hours ago

Ford fires up its 2027 Le Mans weapon at Paul Ricard

Ford’s return to the top tier of endurance racing suddenly feels a whole lot more…

10 hours ago

Mercedes ‘not even thinking’ of prioritizing Antonelli in title race

Mercedes is refusing to pick sides in the 2026 Formula 1 title fight despite Kimi…

11 hours ago

Steiner still doesn’t understand Gene Haas’ aims in F1

Guenther Steiner has questioned the very reason Gene Haas remains in Formula 1 given his…

13 hours ago