F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vowles backs ‘sensible’ 2026 rule tweaks after early concerns

Williams team boss James Vowles has welcomed Formula 1’s swift response to mounting criticism over its 2026 regulations, describing the newly agreed changes as “sensible” after weeks of intense debate across the paddock.

On Monday, the sport’s stakeholders – led by FIA, Formula One Management and the sport’s engine manufacturers – moved to act following concerns over erratic racing, safety risks from fluctuating closing speeds, and a shift toward energy-saving tactics overshadowing flat-out competition.

The first three races of the season exposed clear flaws. Drivers wrestled with inconsistent performance windows, while fans voiced frustration as qualifying sessions became more about management than maximum attack.

Despite initial resistance from F1 leadership, momentum for change proved unavoidable.

A run of emergency meetings in April – facilitated by a disrupted calendar – ultimately led to a package of revisions now awaiting final ratification by the World Motor Sport Council ahead of their planned debut at the Miami Grand Prix.

‘We always look at ways to keep improving’

For Vowles, the collaborative effort behind the changes is as important as the outcome.

"These are sensible changes, and the teams, FIA, and Formula 1 have done good work over the past few weeks to agree them,” he said.

"F1 has seen some great racing so far this year, but it is right that we always look at ways to keep improving. We look forward to seeing them in action from Miami onwards.”

Whether the revisions can fully address the deeper issues of the 2026 rule set remains uncertain.

But for now, Vowles’ endorsement signals cautious optimism – an acknowledgment that while the system may not be perfect, Formula 1 is at least willing to adapt before the cracks widen further.

Read also: Formula 1 stakeholders approve major energy rule adjustments

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

1 hour ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

2 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

3 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

4 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

6 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

7 hours ago