F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Domenicali reveals first Hockenheim talks on possible F1 return

Germany may be in the early stages of a Formula 1 comeback, with Stefano Domenicali confirming that Hockenheim has reached out to discuss a future return to the sport’s calendar.

Seven years after the country last hosted a Grand Prix, the iconic circuit has begun what Domenicali described as a first round of talks with Formula 1, raising the prospect of Germany reclaiming a place on the world championship schedule.

Speaking about the renewed dialogue, Domenicali stressed that any return would be viewed as a medium- to long-term project rather than an immediate addition to the calendar.

“Germany, for the first time, we are reconnecting with the possibility of having contact with the Hockenheim people to see if, in the future, mid-term, not short-term, they can have a race back,” commented F1’s chief executive.

The approach has come from Hockenheim itself following major changes behind the scenes.

The Emodrom Group acquired a controlling stake in the circuit’s operating company in 2024 and has announced a wider €250 million redevelopment programme including a larger Porsche Experience Centre, a hotel and a new Motorworld museum.

While early discussions with FOM have been initiated, Domenicali cautioned that hosting Formula 1 would require investment beyond the circuit’s current redevelopment plans.

“On the other side, so far, it was Hockenheim to connect with us, and they have had the first discussion,” he said.

“If they want to discuss a possible F1 event, of course, the investment needs to be different because our platform is to have a different kind of investment. But we have discussion with them.”

Germany’s market shows fresh momentum

Hockenheim last staged the German Grand Prix in 2019, when Max Verstappen won a dramatic rain-hit race. Germany hosted one further F1 round in 2020 at the Nürburgring under the Eifel Grand Prix banner, won by Lewis Hamilton.

Domenicali believes the commercial picture in Germany is improving, particularly after Formula 1’s recent broadcast agreement with RTL and growing interest in the next television rights tender.

“Now, with the deal we’re having with RTL, you know, the numbers getting different. And in the new tender on the German market, we will have for the first time more than one operator that is interested to be part of this tender,” the Italian said.

“So it’s another sign that, in Europe, that is our very important market, the attention is getting even bigger.”

A German return is far from guaranteed. Portugal and Turkey are already set to join the calendar from 2027, while Belgium and Barcelona will rotate selected years and interest continues from Africa, Thailand, South Korea and Argentina.

For now, Hockenheim has achieved something significant: Germany is back in the Formula 1 conversation.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

16 minutes ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

2 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

3 hours ago

Verstappen struggling with both health and car for Zandvoort finale

Max Verstappen admitted after qualifying at Zandvoort that he has been feeling under the weather…

4 hours ago

Dutch GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Lando Norris delivered a strong performance in Saturday’s qualifying at Zandvoort, the McLaren heading the…

17 hours ago

Leclerc insists Ferrari ‘have got to work’ on SF-26’s qualifying pace

Charles Leclerc has no complaints about Ferrari’s race-day strength. The problem is getting the SF-25…

17 hours ago