F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red Bull, insisting the Dutchman’s prolonged flirtation with a potential Mercedes move never left him fearing for his own future at the Brackley outfit.

Verstappen finally ended one of Formula 1’s biggest lingering storylines at Zandvoort on Thursday by extending his Red Bull contract through 2030.

His decision closed the door on speculation that he could switch to Mercedes or McLaren, while also bringing an end to suggestions that Russell might be displaced if the four-time world champion opted for a move.

For Russell, however, the drama largely existed outside the team’s own wall.

‘My seat was never felt under threat’

The Mercedes driver, who came through the team’s junior programme, said the constant questions surrounding Verstappen’s future had been driven more by paddock speculation than genuine uncertainty within Mercedes.

"It's only really a topic for us when you guys in the press want to ask these questions and understand what is going on," said Russell.

"It was always very clear within Mercedes what the reality was over these past couple of years, and maybe those conversations were slightly more public than his team was having with the likes of McLaren, or Ferrari, or whoever else it may have been.

"That's just the nature of the sport. Drivers talk with different teams, teams talk with different drivers. Everyone has to just see what their cards are, but my seat never felt under threat, and I felt 100% security with Toto and the team.

"That obviously now continues."

Verstappen domino finally falls

Verstappen had become the biggest unresolved piece of the driver-market puzzle, with speculation about his future intensifying as Red Bull endured a difficult opening stretch to the 2026 campaign.

His eventual decision to stay means Russell’s Mercedes future remains intact, with the Briton seemingly never having viewed the possibility of losing his seat as a serious concern.

The situation also underlines the peculiar nature of F1’s so-called ‘silly season’: while drivers and teams routinely explore their options behind closed doors, the resulting speculation can create an entirely different narrative in the public arena.

For Russell, the latest development simply confirms what he already believed. Verstappen has chosen Red Bull, Mercedes has retained its man, and the uncertainty surrounding one of F1’s most coveted seats can finally be put to rest.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

26 minutes ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

3 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

4 hours ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

5 hours ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

6 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

7 hours ago