F1 News, Reports and Race Results

F1 sets final deadline for Qatar and Abu Dhabi decision

Formula 1 is running out of road to keep its 2026 finale intact, with the sport now targeting mid-October for a final call on whether Qatar and Abu Dhabi can safely host the championship’s closing rounds.

The Middle East conflict has already forced F1 into some serious calendar gymnastics this year. Bahrain and Saudi Arabia were removed from their original April dates, with Bahrain eventually finding a temporary home at Sepang in Malaysia next weekend. Now the same uncertainty hangs over the final two events in Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

And while F1 has continued to publicly keep those races on its schedule, the contingency planning is clearly gathering pace.

Imola waits in the wings

According to Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu, F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali is now aiming for October to provide the definitive answer.

“Yeah, I believe that Stefano [Domenicali] is targeting to tell us in mid-October,” he said. “So, we all know what the situation is. I believe that Imola's getting ready in case we have to do it.

“I think the challenge is for instance, things like, European motorhome structure, etc., all those people who look after them, they have a winter job, so need to find alternative people to do that.

“But I'm sure we, all as the F1 community, will make sure if we have to do that, that will happen.

“But hopefully things can stay as a baseline, then we can go to Qatar and Abu Dhabi that'd be really good.”

Imola has indeed emerged as the leading European contingency option, with the Italian circuit understood to be preparing for the possibility of a late-season return.

For the teams, however, switching the final rounds to Europe would involve considerably more than simply unloading the cars at another circuit.

Logistics become the real headache

Audi chief Mattia Binotto echoed Komatsu's timeline, while playing down concerns about holding a race at Imola late in the year, amid potentially sub-optimal weather.

“As we discussed it during the F1 Commission last Monday, middle of October is the last call for such a decision.

“The main challenges are more organisation and logistics, I would think.

“From a technical, often we may say, um, wintertime, snow tyres, but at the end, as a matter of fact, the average temperature in Imola in that time of the year, it's hotter than Las Vegas by the time we got the race in Las Vegas.

“So I don't think that's a true concern, it's more from the organisation and the logistics, really, and again, middle of October, hopefully we make the right decision.”

That timetable represents a shift from the deadline previously outlined by Domenicali, who had said in July that the decision would come no earlier than mid-September.

The continuing uncertainty has evidently extended the window as F1 waits to see how the regional situation develops.

Read also:

For Lewis Hamilton, meanwhile, the prospect of another reshuffle is not particularly welcome. The Ferrari driver said in Baku that he would be happy to race in the Gulf.

“I personally want to go,” he said. “I love going to the Middle East.

“From what I've read, I think things seem okay out there. But I don't have all the information, so I don't know what the risk levels are.

“I trust in Stefano [Domenicali, F1 CEO] to make the right decision for the sport, but I do hope that we get to go there.”

With October now emerging as the critical month, F1 faces a familiar balancing act: preserve its planned finale if circumstances allow, while ensuring an alternative is ready should the championship once again be forced to rewrite its calendar.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Red Bull locks in Mekies until 2031 as new era takes shape

Red Bull has made a long-term statement of faith in Laurent Mekies, handing its team…

3 hours ago

Rossi ready to race Verstappen in GT3 – but expects ‘big trouble’

A motorsport crossover of titanic proportions is set to unfold as MotoGP icon Valentino Rossi…

5 hours ago

Tsunoda tipped for IndyCar test as F1 future remains uncertain

Yuki Tsunoda could be preparing for a fresh motorsport adventure, with the Japanese driver reportedly…

7 hours ago

Horner suggests Red Bull has lost its ‘maverick’ identity

Christian Horner has delivered a pointed assessment of the Red Bull empire he once ruled,…

8 hours ago

Hailing from Liechtenstein - trailing in F1

A who, what, where query on this picture would at first glance prompt a response…

9 hours ago

Hadjar finds a reason to smile after a weekend to forget

Isack Hadjar left Singapore with a badly bruised Saturday behind him and a much-needed reminder…

10 hours ago