Magnussen ready for McLaren challenge in Australia

Kevin Magnussen has claimed he’s “fit and ready” to sub for the sidelined Fernando Alonso behind the wheel of the MP4-30 in Melbourne this weekend (March 13-15).

The McLaren reserve driver received a late call-up last week when the Spaniard decided to pull out of the Australian Grand Prix after suffering concussion in a pre-season crash.

Magnussen will not be totally thrown in at the deep end around the Albert Park Circuit. Indeed, the 22-year-old Dane was able to sample the new MP4-30 during the final pre-season test held in Barcelona, even though an oil leak limited his running to 39 laps on his sole outing.

“I’m really pleased to be behind the wheel with McLaren-Honda at Melbourne again," said Magnussen. “Of course, the reason I am here is an unusual one, but my job is to do the best job I can for the team while Fernando is out of the cockpit, and that's what I'll do.”

“Although I didn’t expect to be sitting in the cockpit in Australia, I’ve spent the winter preparing as I would normally for a race season, so I feel fit and ready for the task ahead of me and to do the best I can for the team.

“The racing is sure to be unpredictable here at the start of the new season, and it’ll be really interesting to find out where we compare to the rest of the grid, but I’m definitely up for the challenge.”

Racing in Australia will also give Magnussen the opportunity to come back to the venue where he starred as an F1 debutant 12 months ago by clinching his first ever podium on his maiden grand prix weekend.

“To be back in Melbourne is a fantastic feeling, especially as those memories of my podium here last year are incredibly special and something I’ll never forget. I loved racing on this circuit last year and I’m really looking forward to getting back out on track in Friday practice to continue the development of our car here.”

Click here for the latest technical upgrades before Melbourne in pictures

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

5 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

7 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

9 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

10 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

11 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

12 hours ago