As it continues its struggle to keep its head above the water, like most of F1's mid-field teams, Lotus has denied speculation its owners may be seeking to sell the team to former owners Renault.

Speaking at a business conference in London, Lotus CEO Matthew Carter was adamant no sale was in the cards by majority holder Genii Capital in spite of Renault publicly pondering the idea of taking over an F1 outfit.

"My shareholders have said quite specifically the team isn't for sale," Carter commented. "There's a famous quote that everything's for sale at a price but certainly our shareholders have told me they don't want to sell the team, they don't want to give up their majority interest in the team."

While Lotus' financial woes are well documented, Genii Capital's Gérard Lopez considers the switch to Mercedes power this year as a boost to its competitive potential. Shareholders are also hoping a fundamental change to Formula 1's payout structure would strongly benefit the sport's second tier teams, or perhaps avoid their demise altogether.

Last year, Gérard Lopez was at the forefront of a battle to defend the interests of Formula 1's impoverished teams, imploring change and a greater share of F1’s £500 million of prize money.

The Enstone-based squad endured a miserable 2014 season, its drivers raking in only 10 points which obviously resulted in a very reduced financial windfall from FOM, which in turn has strained the outfit's budget. Lotus is currently sixth in the Constructors championship with Romain Grosjean scoring all the team's points in the last three races.

Click here for Wednesday's gallery from testing at the Circuit de Catalunya

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

11 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

12 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

14 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

15 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

16 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

18 hours ago