FIA president Jean Todt says F1's governing body will address the issue of power unit costs having failed to do so when they were first introduced.

The switch from V8 engines to V6 turbos at the start of the 2014 season saw power unit costs increase significantly for customers, with two teams - Marussia and Caterham - going in to administration last year. Todt says he should have imposed a maximum cost for the power units when the new regulations came in to effect, but is working to do so now.

“If you take the engine, I do agree that it’s too expensive," Todt told reporters including F1i. "Here I take the responsibility of probably not having secured that it would be a maximum cost to the customers. It’s something we are going to address.

"It’s better late than never, but we are going to address the cost for the customers.”

Asked if he has the power to enforce a maximum cost, Todt insists: "We should have power to drive down the cost of the engine."

However, while keen to protect the futures of the smaller teams, Todt says the move is not part of a wider push for an overall cost cap, believing there is not enough support for such a change.

"This question for me, we cover cost control and say we need to address some parameters, but I myself, personally, am not a big believer in cost controls. If we will be sure that it is the solution and that we can apply it, then I will not be against it, but almost nobody is in favour of that."

Click here for pictures from the final day of in-season testing in Austria

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

2 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

3 hours ago

McLaren and Norris fastest midday in Bahrain on Day 5

Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…

4 hours ago

FIA trials longer start procedure to ease turbo challenges

The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…

4 hours ago

Vettel teases dream Le Mans team-up with Verstappen

Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…

5 hours ago

Alonso: Aston Martin’s problems fixable – but time is slipping away

Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…

7 hours ago