McLaren ‘struck the maximum’ with P17 - Alonso

Fernando Alonso says 17th place on the grid at the British Grand Prix is still a good result for McLaren because the team “struck the maximum” in qualifying.

Both McLaren drivers dropped out in Q1, with Alonso outqualifying team-mate Jenson Button as the pair will start from the penultimate row. Alonso’s car was being worked on until the final moments before qualifying but he says the issue was resolved to allow him to get the most out of the car at Silverstone.

“We had an ERS problem this morning and then we found the solution and we could run in qualifying perfectly OK,” Alonso said. “Very few laps today, so you go in to qualifying not knowing the conditions exactly, but I think we struck the maximum; a couple of tenths in front of Jenson we could not be much quicker than that.”

When it was put to Alonso that his comments aren't good to hear a Q1 exit is the maximum, he replied: “Yeah, but that’s the way it is.

“It’s going to be like this. In Hungary it will be like this, in Belgium it will be worse probably, in Monza it will be worse. This is how it is at the moment. It sounds strange but this is the best qualifying of the year for us, being only 1.5s off the leader with the same tyres - the new mediums that Ferrari put on as well - on the second longest circuit on the calendar. So I think in total time we are closer to the top.”

And Alonso says McLaren still has to understand the reasons behind his reliability issues earlier in the day.

“There’s still investigation going on because in the end we put the same ERS pack back in again and everything started working. So there is not a clear answer why after the reset it is OK now.”

Click here for Saturday's gallery from the British Grand Prix

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

2 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

3 hours ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

3 hours ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

4 hours ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

6 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

7 hours ago