McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis is adamant Jenson Button’s stay at Woking will extend beyond the current 2015 season.

The 2009 world champion had to wait until early December last year before being confirmed alongside Fernando Alonso, as senior management dilly-dallied to choose between him and former team-mate Kevin Magnussen.

McLaren-Honda has experienced an extremely challenging first half to its 2015 campaign, but Button managed to pick up the renewed partnership’s maiden points with a strong drive to eighth at the Monaco Grand Prix.

Besides Magnussen, the British team also has current GP2 Series points leader Stoffel Vandoorne on its books. The Belgian top prospect recently said he “felt ready for Formula One” and was “in regular talks” with Dennis and racing director Eric Boullier about his future.

However, the McLaren boss insists changing the squad’s driver line-up is the least of his priorities.

“Jenson Button has a two-year contract with McLaren,” Dennis told Sky Sports. “We are not even thinking about drivers at the moment. Both of them are doing an amazing job.”

“It would be very, very easy for both of them to be critical of McLaren - and they are not.”

Dennis’ comments about Button’s situation comes after he claimed team-mate Alonso had a “straight three-year contract with us, with no options”.

Click here for F1i's driver ratings from the British Grand Prix

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

2 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

3 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

4 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

6 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

7 hours ago