The future of Monza as the venue of the Italian Grand Prix is still in jeopardy, but Italy's motorsport boss is optimistic a deal can soon be struck with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Monza's current deal with FOM runs out at the end of the current year, but for several months now, ongoing negotiations between the event's promoters and Ecclestone have failed to entice the latter to extend Monza's contracted Formula 1 franchise.

Ecclestone himself, as recently as last week in Spa, expressed pessimism about the race remaining on the F1 calendar.

"I don't know about Monza at the moment. I have got meetings there in September, so we will see. I hope we don't lose it, but I think there is a good chance we will."

But on Tuesday in Milan, Angelo Sticchi Damiani, the boss of the Italian motorsport federation ACI expressed his belief that a deal to grant an extension to Monza's contract was still very much in the works.

"Monza must overcome the situation that we all know well," said Sticchi Damiani. "I think with a bit of optimism, there are opportunities for this to happen. Bernie is sensitive to the history of Monza, but F1 is expensive and we have to be able to meet the commitments."

Roberto Maroni, the president of the Lombardy region, said his government is ready to do its part and commit 70 million euros to help upgrade Monza's infrastructure over the next decade, although it cannot help finance the race's hosting fee demanded by FOM, the most contentious item under discussion between the involved parties.

Ecclestone has underlined however that the fee increase is only destined to bring Monza in line with the amount other European venues are paying.

"They don't have to give any more than other people," explained Ecclestone. "We just want the same."

2016 F1 driver line-ups so far

F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

10 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

11 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

12 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

13 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

14 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

16 hours ago