Daniel Ricciardo says Red Bull focused on race set-up during Friday practice as it faces engine penalties at the Italian Grand Prix.
Renault's power unit has a power deficit which is accentuated on high-speed circuits such as Monza, leading Red Bull to take new units in order to ensure it doesn't face penalties in Singapore where it expects to be much more competitive. Ricciardo says the result was a focus on race set-up on Friday, with Red Bull likely to have to recover from the back of the grid.
"Today we did the most that we could," Ricciardo said. "We were focusing on race set-up knowing that we start from the back, so Sunday is going to be a lot more important for us.
"Mercedes we can’t fight, we can’t challenge. Maybe some rain will come but Sunday looks dry. We will just do what we can this week and see what happens in Singapore where we should be a lot stronger."
And Ricciardo admits it is frustrating experiencing the lack of power compared to other cars out on track.
"We lose quite a bit of time on the straights, so you are on the straight just driving and you can’t push the pedal any harder. We know that we are going to lose some time there. It is for sure the best place to take our (engine) penalties.
"This morning was okay and then this afternoon we did not do as much running and were outside the top 10 where we thought we’d probably be. We will see what we can do in the race. On Saturday it won’t be too busy for us."
0.021s between Hamilton and Rosberg in FP2
2016 F1 driver line-ups so far
F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…
Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…
Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…
The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…
Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…
Fernando Alonso has insisted that Aston Martin’s troubled new-generation AMR26 can be fixed, but warned…