F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Engines issues taking a toll on McLaren-Honda relationship

In light of the persistence of Honda's engine troubles, McLaren's Eric Boullier says the relationship between the two partners is "strained".

Stoffel Vandoorne was hit with an electrical issue this morning which required a full engine change - the third in a week.

The reliability troubles currently offer a bleak prospect for McLaren-Honda, jst over two before the season gets underway in Australia.

"Obviously we are in F1, we are racing, and we have to perform," Boullier said.

"So the pressure is obviously huge and obviously we put the maximum pressure on all of our relationship with Honda, and the same for them.

"We cannot put a footstep wrong. We need to be able to deliver the best car as well, so this is both sides."

Boullier explained however that a common issue was at the basis of two of Honda's issues, providing hope a resolution is in the works.

"From the outside world it may look like it is a different problem, but at least two of the problems were the same," explained Boullier.

"So it can be addressed in time. The one thing is we are running the same spec as last week so obviously that doesn't mean there are any changes in this block or any modifications done.

"I think, the next spec will have addressed part of this problem, or most of this problem."

While the issues have hindered McLaren's development progress since pre-season testing got underway, the Woking outfit's racing director is not overwhelmed with worries.

"Obviously we would like more laps because we would like to test more parts, but the few we have done is good, and the correlation is good, so we can now build a bit on predictions I would say.

"For the rest, obviously I leave this in the hands of Honda to make sure that they investigate properly, they address it properly and we have to rely on our partner and we believe that they will do it."

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

18 minutes ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

2 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

3 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

4 hours ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

5 hours ago

Lindblad left frustrated by lost F1 mileage amid troubled start

Arvid Lindblad arrived in Formula 1 carrying the weight of expectation and the confidence of…

6 hours ago