F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Nico Rosberg is 'completely fulfilled' in retirement

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Nico Rosberg  will be an attentive spectator in Monaco this weekend, although the reigning world champion insists he does not miss F1.

The German, who shocked the sport by announcing his retirement just days after winning the world title in Abu Dhabi, is still a huge fan of Grand Prix racing.

But Rosberg, who won 23 F1 races in a career spanning eleven years, believes his time is now better spent out of a racing car.

"I am completely fulfilled," he said in an exclusive BBC Sport interview.

"It is a page that has turned for me. I am looking forward now. It was the perfect ending for me, the perfect career for what I wanted to achieve."

Rosberg considers himself lucky to be able to look back such positively on the past, but also to be able to gaze into the future.

"I now have the opportunity at 31 to open up another career, with the goal of being just as successful again, and reach out to just as many people, in a different way. That would be cool."

As a simple spectator, Nico admits he is enjoying watching the action this year.

"It is fun to watch the action and F1 is as good as it has ever been this year," he said.

"Although it is 12 years since I last watched it on TV. It is really exciting to watch as an outsider. There is so much going on, you never know who is going to win.

"With Ferrari coming into the mix, it's so great for all the fans out there."

The former Mercedes driver says it's still early days in the title fight, but admits that it looks like a straight on battle between his old nemesis Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

"In Barcelona Bottas was unlucky because he had some problem on the car. He's really doing well, so it's much too early to write him off.

"But of course the focus is on Lewis and Sebastian because those are the guys who are right up front with the points and quite far away already.

"My hopes are that it goes to the wire, because that's what all the fans want to see., to have a great title-decider, as last year.

"And then I would hope that my ex-racing family take it home."

 

“Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE”

GALLERY: All the action from Monaco

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

1 hour ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

2 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

3 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

4 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

5 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

6 hours ago