F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sauber winding up for mid-field battle - Zander

Sauber tech boss Jorg Zander believes the Swiss outfit has the means and resources to fight with the mid-field runners this year.

Sauber came close to closing shop last year before investor Longbow Finance was brought in to save the Hinwill-based team by providing a much-needed influx of cash and financial stability.

As it continues to consolidate its foundation, the squad aims to move up the ranks to join the tight mid-field battle, an ambition in line with its assets and resources says Jorg Zander.

"I think we have actually quite a good budget, so we have all opportunity that you can find in other midfield teams to do a decent development and cover those development processes," explains Sauber's technical director.

"So, from that perspective, I think we are not too badly adjusted at all. The way I see Sauber is actually, from the point of talent level, actually quite good.

"We have very experienced people, people have a good talent, they are very competent."

Zander, whose own experience includes stints with BMW, Audi, Toyota and Honda, believes one of Sauber's main strengths is precisely the quality of its human resources.

"They have been in the sport for a long time, so I think you may want to look into the economic side of things, which are really decent, but you have to look from a human resource point of view as well, what kind of quality level of human resource do you have available for your developments.

"I think Sauber is actually placed very well in that regard."
“Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE”

Gallery: All the pictures from Sunday in Monaco

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

6 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

7 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

8 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

8 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

10 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

11 hours ago