The promoters of the Malaysia Grand Prix say they want to see more exciting racing in Formula 1 before they'll consider staging future races.

This year will see the final Grand Prix at Sepang, after organisers agreed to end their existing contract with Liberty Media one year early.

The event receives significant backing from the Malaysian government. But authorities last year indicated that poor economic return on the race meant they were no longer willing to subsidise it in future.

Just 45,000 people attended last year's race. The estimated capacity of Sepang International Circuit is 120,000.

Promoters put the blame for the decline on dull Grand Prix events in recent years. They said they would consider holding F1 races in future, but only if the racing was more entertaining.

"If it ticks all the boxes, we will take it back," Sepang chief executive Dato' Razlan Razali told Motorsport.com

"We want to see how exciting F1 is again. The new owners need to take back control of F1 and the racing.

"Racing has become less exciting and that has had an impact on interest," he said. "Both in terms of TV viewers and those coming to the track.

"They need to bring the excitement back, they need to sort it out."

Razali blamed recent regulations changes for the downturn, with the switch to V6 engines seen as "the beginning of the downward spiral."

Having a second race in the region in Singapore was also seen a contributory factor to fall in popularity of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

"Having two F1 in south-east Asia is killing the sport," agreed Razali. "It would be much better if we could alternate.

"I believe Singapore offered us an option to alternate before they joined the calendar," he added. "It was before I took this job and apparently we refused. Would I consider it if it was an option again? Yes, I would."

Razali said that he would be open to the idea of Sepang being used as a testing venue, as happens with the MotoGP motorcycling championship. However he doubted Formula 1 fans would be willing to pay to watch test sessions.

"MotoGP pay us to test at the venue, so we have always made it free for fans. I'm not sure if that would be viable with Formula 1."

 
Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE

Gallery: All the pictures from Montreal

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

45 mins ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

2 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

3 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

5 hours ago

Leclerc fastest midday in Bahrain on final day of testing

Ferrari laid down another statement in the opening session of Friday’s final day of pre-season…

7 hours ago

Penske's journey from driver to the Captain

Racing legend Roger Penske turns 89 today, but don't expect the Captain to take his…

7 hours ago