F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Grid penalties creeping closer for Red Bull drivers

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

A dreaded 10-place grid penalty for exceeding an authorized number of power unit elements looks almost inevitable for Red Bull Racing's drivers this season.

Renault have announced that all four Red Bull and works Renault drivers have had their cars fitted with a fourth MGU-H element.

As a reminder, a fifth version would exceed the allocated amount permitted over the course of the 20-race season, and automatically trigger a 10-place grid penalty.

The MGU-H replacements yesterday were the result of a precautionary measure decided by Renault following an issue on Daniel Ricciardo's car.

"We tried something, it was really on the limit of introducing or not introducing that modification," said Renault Sport F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul. 

"Indeed it created an issue on one of the cars only, Ricciardo's, and that issue meant that we took the decision to change all the others.

"We tried something and we had the capacity to react overnight, and hopefully this will not repeat again."

Abiteboul insisted however that under F1's regulations, a previously used MGU-H can be modified and returned to race weekend use. 

"The issue we had on the MGU-H yesterday we will be able to patch or modify back at the factory and use it again because it's peripheral, it's ancillary."

Christian Horner said the change will inevitably lead to grid penalties sooner or later. But the Red Bull boss also pointed to Sebastian Vettel's use of four turbos this season, which also places the Ferrari driver on the penalty bubble.

"It's not ideal," he told Motorsport.com. "But just looking at Sebastian's allocation, it looks pretty similar to be honest. It is what it is.

"We're not quite at the halfway stage yet, but we'll do our best to manage it between now and the end of the year. A couple of the old ones are still alive."

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

31 mins ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

2 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

3 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

4 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

5 hours ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

6 hours ago