Legendary F1 engine manufacturer Cosworth likes what it has seen so far from F1 and the direction of its future engine rules as it projects its return to Grand Prix racing.

F1 sporting manager Ross Brawn is hard at work framing the sport's engine platform beyond 2020. Several working group meetings which included manufacturers which are not currently involved in F1 have yielded positive feedback and interest.

Cosworth CEO Hal Reisiger has confirmed his company's interest in returning to F1 as an independent engine manufacturer, to the point where it is now committing resources to the project.

"I think that we've got sufficient support from the existing teams, and we've had discussions with some, that enable us to make the commitment to proceed," Reisiger told Motorsport.com in an exclusive interview.

"More teams committed for a longer term, is always better. But we have some verbal agreements to partner with some existing and future teams that would enable us to be a sustainable engine partner."

Cosworth has been called upon by Ross Brawn to help define the rules of the future, which the company believes should include various changes destined to rid tomorrow's engine of various problematic elements.

"We appreciate being involved in the process," said Reisiger.

"We think we are well suited to come back into F1 if the engine regulations should change, and the compelling change has to be with the heat energy recovery [from the turbo] – because that is the most expensive and time-consuming element. 

"If F1 wants a new engine supplier for 2021 there will have to be some changes on that front.

"We have been invited to participate in the working committees which we are happy to do, so we are engaged in the process and looking forward to it."

Reisiger insists that, within the right framework, Cosworth would have the means to offer a competitive power unit capable of performing on a par with Mercedes and Ferrari.

"It is important not only for the teams that we would serve, but for our own brand that we should not get involved in it if we cannot be competitive.

"We have a great historic brand, we want to protect our brand as much as we want to help people win races, but we do think we can do it."

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

1 hour ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

15 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

16 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

17 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

17 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

19 hours ago