DTM racer Lucas Auer says that it's 'crazy' to think he will be testing a Formula 1 car next month.
The 22-year-old Mercedes protégé is the nephew of former Formula 1 driver Gerhard Berger. Force India confirmed this week that Auer will be in their car for the official test session at Budapest in early August.
F3 driver Nikita Mazepin will also get the opportunity to show the team what he can do in the VJM10 at the Hungaroring. Each driver will have half a day of track time on both the Tuesday and the Wednesday.
"To be honest, it is incredible," Auer told Autosport magazine this week.
"It is just crazy this motorsport world, because things can change so quickly," he continued. "In motorsport you go from hero to loser in three months. And you go from loser to hero in three months.
Auer claimed his first DTM race win with Mercedes' satellite Mucke Motorsport team in 2016. It meant he was kept on even when the squad scaled back to a six-car HWA-run line-up this season.
"Last year being with a customer team and winning a race, that was my breakthrough," said Auer.
DTM has been a successful route into Formula 1 for several drivers in recent years. Saber driver Pascal Wehrlein got his Grand Prix chance after clinching the 2015 title with HWA AG.
Esteban Ocon was promoted into the Manor team to replace Rio Haryanto midway through last season. He now drives for Force India full time in 2017.
"Esteban did a great job there, so it was right to sign him up," said Auer. "But for me it is quite early.
"I have to be happy I get a test, and it is also an opportunity to do well," he added. "It is no secret that if you impress in those tests, this is a good plus point for you and your career.
"First you have to do a pretty impressive job in DTM to get somewhere else," he acknowledged. "Let's see what else will happen."
GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…
Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…
Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…
Ferrari laid down another statement in the opening session of Friday’s final day of pre-season…
Racing legend Roger Penske turns 89 today, but don't expect the Captain to take his…
Formula 1’s plan to double its Sprint races from six to 12 per season in…