Former Sauber driver Felipe Nasr believes a return to the Formula 1 grid is an unlikely prospect in the mid-term.

The 25-year-old Brazilian contested two seasons with the Swiss outfit but was forced to retreat Grand Prix racing at the end of last year when his sponsor - Banco do Brasil - pulled out of the sport.

Nasr has visited many races this season however, on both sides of the Atlantic, as he seeks his future path in motor racing.

"I tested the IMSA prototype, I had some contact with some Formula E teams, I did some simulators, and I was also at IndyCar at the Watkins Glen round in New York," Nasr told Globo.

He attended the IndyCar round as a guest of Penske's Helio Castroneves.

"He put me in touch with a lot of people in Indy," Nasr revealed, amid rumours he could test an Indycar next month.

"Regardless of the category, I think I have the quality to be in a competitive team next year," he said.

Nasr is managed by Steve Robertson, who looks after the interests of Kimi Raikkonen, and who has kept him up to date on Formula 1's affairs.

He admits however that a return to F1 will be difficult.

"Either you're linked to an automaker right from the start or you need to take an investment to get into the other teams," Nasr said.

"The moment that our country is going through also does not help. Realistically, no one is investing in anything."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

1 hour ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

3 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

4 hours ago

McLaren and Norris fastest midday in Bahrain on Day 5

Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…

5 hours ago

FIA trials longer start procedure to ease turbo challenges

The FIA has chosen to trial in Bahrain a new Formula 1 start procedure –…

5 hours ago

Vettel teases dream Le Mans team-up with Verstappen

Sebastian Vettel may have retired from Formula 1, but the four-time world champion is clearly…

7 hours ago