Alonso encouraged by updated Honda power unit

Fernando Alonso says Honda’s updated power unit “seems to be working as expected” after sampling the latest specification in Friday free practice for the Russian Grand Prix.

The Spaniard will retain priority over team-mate Jenson Button and ran the newest assembly in FP1 before changing back to an older version in the afternoon. Despite a day of disruptions at Sochi, Alonso was pleased to collect valuable data by being the busiest driver on track.

“In FP1 we did enough laps to calibrate the engine, to see whether everything was working and it seems that everything is working as expected, so this is good news,” said the double world champion.

“We had an old engine in FP2, which had been used in Suzuka with some problems. They were identified and we had to test it anyway to be sure that the engine was ready to do the whole weekend.

“It was very positive for us in terms of how the data that we have from the engines is working as we expected.”

The downside of introducing a new power unit – which will make its race debut at Austin in two weeks – came under the guise of another hefty grid drop for Alonso, who is bound to start his 250th grand prix from the back of the field.

The 34-year-old was initially handed a 25-place penalty for using new PU components, but his sanction was further increased when he reverted to the current engine spec.

“Unfortunately we have this penalty – 35 places,” commented Alonso. “It’s not our record because we had 55 in Spa, so let’s see how we can manage the race from there. It seems like it could be one-stop for everyone and in which case there is not much of a chance to be creative, so the race could be a little bit more difficult.

“Let’s try to enjoy the race whatever the final result is. Whatever the result is we have to maximise it and finish the race. I think we have a good opportunity to learn about the car for next year.”

Massa quickest in wet FP2 in Sochi

AS IT HAPPENED: Russian Grand Prix FP2

F1i technical expert Nicolas Carpentiers takes us through exclusive pictures of Renault's power unit

Click here for the F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

11 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

13 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

15 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

16 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

17 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

18 hours ago