F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Hulkenberg and Sainz pushing Renault upwards - Prost

Alain Prost believes Renault has transformed itself into a true team thanks to a solid driver line-up made up of Nico Hülkenberg and Carlos Sainz.

The French outfit recruited Sainz at the end of last year in order to improve its overall consistency on the driver front following Jolyon Palmer's disappointing performance.

"Nico is solid, and along with Carlos, they will pull the team upward," Prost told Auto Plus.

"I really believe in Carlos, we'll see how he eveolves.

"What he did in Austin at the US Grand Prix [where Sainz finished 7th] was a good example. He went from Toro Rosso to a big manufacturer's team, where there's always a bit more pressure.

"What he achieved during that weekend was quite remarkable."

"In Mexico, he made a small mistake, which is something we must accept. That's why I wanted him to join us as early as possible, so he could put a few races behind him before 2018. He'll reach more milestones."

For all of Prost's enthusiasm for Sainz, the F1 legend won't know until later this year if the Spaniard will remain with Renault in 2019 as he is on loan from Red Bull for one season only.

"We'll see what's going to happen next year with the market, as it's very open. We need to concentrate on the work with Carlos and Nico."

"Obviously we don't know if we are going to keep him at the end of 2018," Prost conceded. "But we had to make this choice.

"We are not in the position to be world champions yet. So we have to put step by step," he explained.

"We'll see what's going to happen next year with the market, as it's very open. We need to concentrate on the work with Carlos and Nico."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Alonso singles out new Honda power unit for Sprint Qualifying miss

Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…

43 minutes ago

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

2 hours ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

3 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

3 hours ago

Tech F1i: A look at the F1 teams' array of upgrades at Zandvoort

Formula 1 returns from its summer break with the competitive order still finely poised, and…

4 hours ago