F1 News, Reports and Race Results

McLaren achieves crucial step forward on engine changeover

McLaren's technical director Tim Goss says he believes that the team has made major progress adapting its chassis to the demands of a completely new engine architecture.

McLaren terminated its troubled three-year partnership with previous engine providers Honda at the end of last season.

The late confirmation of the decision left the team working hard over the winter. Many changes to the car were needed to accommodate the replacement Renault power unit.

"We were fortunate that the decision to move from one engine to another was made just in time. It couldn't have been made any later," Goss told Motorsport.com.

"It was very, very intense," he added. "We had pretty much two weeks of very intense effort to get it sorted. But we knew pretty much what we needed to do.

"We had to reconfigure the chassis," he confirmed. "But we've managed that in time without any significant compromise to the chassis. It was quite a big change.

"The Renault architecture is very different," Goss admitted. "The Renault engine will sit further forward in the chassis.

"With the Honda you had the air intake that had to come down into the front of the engine," he explained. "That volume came out of your fuel cell, so as a result the chassis was longer.

"When you move to a Renault, suddenly the front of the engine becomes a lot simpler," he said. "As the result we win back a substantial amount of fuel volume.

"Obviously you choose the architecture of the car at the beginning of the season," he noted. "There are some things that are built in that you cannot really change during the season.

"When you redesign the car, that is your opportunity to make those changes," he said, adding that he was delighted by the result so far. "We've done a fantastic job. A really fantastic job."

McLaren will pull the wraps off its new car on February 23, just a few days before pre-season testing kicks off in Barcelona.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

2 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

4 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

5 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

6 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

7 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

8 hours ago