F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff sees 'serious' threat from McLaren and Renault

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff believes that McLaren and Renault could pose a serious threat to the four-time world championship squad in 2018.

That's in addition to the team's usual rivals, Ferrari and Red Bull.

"This is the pinnacle of motor racing you need to respect every team and the top drivers," Wolff told Motorsport.com.

"We are taking Ferrari, we are taking Red Bull, we are taking McLaren, we are taking Renault seriously.

"These guys can fight for a championship," he insisted. "And some others might be surprising us."

Wolff said that while he expected competition from all of these teams, he still felt Mercedes would be able to rise to the challenge.

""I want to remain humble," he said. "[But] if we are able to align the dots like we have done in the last year, then we will be winning races. And then we will be fighting for championships.

"If we don't, then we haven't been good enough," he said succinctly.

Ferrari's flying start to the 2017 season had been a sharp reminder to Wolff never to take anything for granted in F1.

The Scuderia won the Australian Grand Prix last year. And Sebastian Vettel was ahead of Lewis Hamilton in the drivers standings after Monaco.

"How the [SF70H] performed on track was exceptional," recalled Wolff. "The step they made over the winter was probably the biggest step of all the teams.

"Ferrari could have won more races," Wolff conceded. "We're taking them very seriously as a real contender [this year] - like we do with the other teams.

Mercedes had to work hard on improving their own car and overcoming its "diva" characteristics. But they pulled if off, while Ferrari stumbled with reliability issues.

"I am happy that we kept it together," Wolff acknowledged. "We have a record of 11 race victories versus the five of Ferrari. And the stopwatch never lies."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Are Horner and BYD exploring a shock F1 future?

A swirl of paddock intrigue has followed reports that Christian Horner spent last weekend in…

5 hours ago

‘That drives me mad’: Smedley tears into slow F1 race engineers

Former Ferrari and Williams engineer Rob Smedley has launched a blistering critique of modern Formula…

7 hours ago

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

8 hours ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

9 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

11 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

12 hours ago