F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Red Bull ready to call back Sainz if Ricciardo talks fail

Red Bull will soon enter the thick of its contract negotiations with Daniel Ricciardo, but if talks fail the team has "good alternatives" according to Christian Horner.

Ricciardo has vowed to wait until the season gets underway to weigh his options for 2019.

The Aussie wants a clear view of how the Milton Keynes-based team's new RB14 will fare against its rivals, but Ricciardo will also be following developments at Mercedes, where Valtteri Bottas' seat with the Silver Arrows squad could be up for grabs if the Finn falls short of expectations.

Red Bull secured the future of Max Verstappen last year and Horner admits he would like nothing more than to extend Ricciardo's contract.

But if the 28-year-old and five-time Grand Prix winner ultimately decides to move on, the team will fall back on its plan B option.

"Our intention is to have him [Ricciardo] with us in the future," Horner told CNN.

"But if that isn't possible, we have other good alternatives. We have good drivers in the junior programme and although he's with Renault now, we still have Carlos Sainz under contract," he added.

Furthermore, it's a long and improbable shot, but Horner believes Lewis Hamilton might be an outside chance for a Red Bull seat.

"Lewis' contract also expires," he said. "It's hard to see him leaving Mercedes, but we never say never."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Are Horner and BYD exploring a shock F1 future?

A swirl of paddock intrigue has followed reports that Christian Horner spent last weekend in…

1 hour ago

‘That drives me mad’: Smedley tears into slow F1 race engineers

Former Ferrari and Williams engineer Rob Smedley has launched a blistering critique of modern Formula…

3 hours ago

Norris hoping to plug in to Formula E with future track test

Fresh from witnessing the action at last weekend’s Monaco E-Prix, Lando Norris openly admitted that…

4 hours ago

Honda's target in Montreal: Help drivers ‘build more confidence’

Honda heads into this week’s Canadian Grand Prix carrying both cautious optimism and clear intent,…

5 hours ago

Panis pulls off a stunner in the Principality

If you're going to win just a single Grand Prix in your F1 career, Monaco…

6 hours ago

Indy 500 front-row starter Rossi injured in massive practice crash

Alexander Rossi’s preparations for next weekend’s Indy 500 were thrown into chaos on Monday after…

8 hours ago